25 July 2008

The Dark Knight - Ten out of ten

Indeed the darkest Batman flick yet. Christopher Nolan can pat himself on the back and say Prestige was no lucky break. This man can indeed stun the audience every single time!

I had heard enough about the Joker before I actually saw the movie. “I have never seen such a terrifying villain before..” “You say Darth Vader’s the best?(followed by a wide grin)”… “Damn, was he psychotic!... You should see it to believe it!” And more of that.

I really love The Joker’s character in the Batman Comics, primarily because he chooses to play mental games with his adversaries. And the psychotic bank robber was on top of my expectations list. Next came in two-face, better known as Harvey Dent. (I am this villain fan, yes, more a fan of Darth Vader than anything on the planet). Batman came in third. I had no idea which part of the comics was being covered, except for the rise of two face, which I’ve read a lot of times before. So, to put it short, I expected a brilliantly executed movie, with a regular batman-saves-the-day storyline, a lot of action scenes, car chases and yes, a lot of mind games.

Enter PVR. Like the guy on IBNlive said, “this was the kind of movie giant screens were invented for”. The first row, unfortunately, but trust me, I neva knew the difference. I was living in Gotham for the next two hours and half !

“SPOILER ALERT!” – Yes, I need to add this. If you haven’t seen the movie yet, don’t sit here reading reviews ! Get going !

The Opening Scene, and I became a Joker fan for life. The way he planned the bank robbery was top notch, and the way one robber kills another in a kind of relay was again top draw. Out of the six clown-masked robbers, just two remain at the end. One doubts the intentions of the mastermind of the robbery (known only as the Joker), and points the gun at the other and says, "I'm bettin' The Joker told you to kill me soon as we loaded the cash..." The other replies calmly, “No I kill the Bus driver…..”

The first gets confused, “What Bus Driver???”

A Crash, and the bus enters through the wall. (I almost stood up and clapped then..) The Height of planning, if there ever can be one!

The bus smashes the first robber.

The other person dutifully kills the bus driver and reveals himself to be the Joker…

Doesn’t sound so good uh? You got to watch it fellas!!! Height of Execution!

This scene was the sign of things to come, and the cat and mouse game to follow, the dialogues, wow!

I've got no words. This was one movie where everyone in the theatre wanted the villain to win.

But for the namesake-show-of-handsomeness, the amazing skyscraper dive and the toooootally amazing Nose-diving-truck scene, Christian Bale did not have much to do as Batman, and I’d call it talent wasted! We all know what he is capable of!

Aaron Eckhart comes up with a stellar performance, both as Harvey Dent and Two-Face (though the latter did not have much of a part to play). And I’d go so far as to give it an Oscar nomination for an actor in a supporting role… Rachel Dawes was also scope & talent wasted.

I would have cut Nolan with words for wasting so much talent in the movie, but hell who cares, We had the Joker, and every other character had to make way for him and lose their scenes, including Batman… The Intro, the way he sets up the people on the two boats, all those fantastic dialogues and I MUST mention the way he walks out of Gotham General Hospital in that nurse dress…. Totally Awesome! The way he turns around to see some part of the hospital intact and checks his remote trigger… whoa man, Ledger must have lived the Joker! The much debated posthumous Oscar for the best actor, yes, I vote for that! (Note: not the supporting actor.. but for the central role.. The best actor!)

The Agent of Chaos ruled the movie, and how!

The BatMobile, The new two wheeled rocket, yes yes, they are all good, but I really didn’t think it’d stand a chance against the scheming Clown, and yes, I was right.

The only point is that Nolan could have bettered this best performance in the way Joker was caught in the end. I guess he wanted to say that the Joker could be caught in the end only because people in the right sense of mind decide not to blast the other boat out. But, we’ll never know…

One movie where everything is perfect, be it the storyline, be it the execution, be it the technicalities. A Great movie to hit the screens, after a long long time, both technically and by entertainment quotient.

I salute Ledger, I salute the Joker, and he’s definitely the second best villain of all time, if not first, and the only one comparable to the Darth Vader in the history of World Cinema. (ya, you would bring in the Silence of the lambs, but this is MY opinion, and no other villain is anywhere near the Clown and Anakin).

On top of IMDB, and deservedly at that.

And to all those who shout "this doesn't deserve it !"..... Why So Serious? :)

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful review man.. U stole words from my mouth.Er. u stole words from my mind.
    Joker has already becum my mentor.. Check out my blog .. i ve listed some of the fav dialogues of this Agent of Chaos.. Why So Serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely lovely review....

    great great movie...

    brilliant briliant joker...

    stupid stupid comment...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. not so stooopid, Manoj.

    ReplyDelete