06 August 2008

Mummy 3: The tomb of the Audience

The first movie in this series.. "The Mummy" was Legendary. I never knew when the movie ended. Mummy returns was a sequel that lived upto the Original’s reputation. And at the end of that movie, I only wished it lasted a little longer.
Here comes the third!

Mummy, the tomb of the Dragon emperor, returns to haunt from the Dead. And trust me, after every 20 minutes, I was wondering why I did not find out the length of the movie before entering the Theatre. Trust me, it is nowhere close to the first two editions.

The first glitch was in the form of the new Evelyn, who is not even comparable to Rachel Weisz from teh originals. Brendan Fraser is a walking example of the saying, “Actions speak louder than words.” The previous two installments in the saga were all about action and this one was more about words. There were a lot of unnecessary dialogues in the movie that give you the feeling that the Director added them to increase the length of the Movie.

I must say that the sequence of events in Mummy 3 were a bit hurried. The way the bombs blast after Evelyn holds Rick’s nose to stop his snoring was a good attempt at innovation, but unfortunately, you can realize how much I had to search through the movie for such a scene. Worst of all, attempted comedy scenes were not so funny and some serious scenes were hilarious. You can’t help laughing your heart out when the emperor who-never-keeps-his-word wishes to fight Rick o Connell as a Human, just because Rick challenged him to a fight ! In any case, Alex’s female interest and the now-tiring comedy of Evelyn's brother,Jonathan, are enough to make you think that all that money you spent on the ticket and the time you spent in the theatre aren’t exactly complete wastes.

The real fans of Mummy would be left disappointed, and they will pray another such installment doesn’t come. While for the rest of the world, it will be a two hour time pass, a visit to a different world, with the tame Dragon Emperor who can be killed by a normal father-son duo and a peek into the undead world of Rick O Connell.

6 comments:

  1. Sadly true.I had to watch this movie in kolkata with my parents whom I had compelled to come all over from the long Delhi tour(as if there was so much left to visit in kolkata). I had to constantly entertain them.I had no option that day but to take them to a movie(late nite show).Dark knight would have been a bad option. Such a magnum opus for my parents who hardly understand the hollywood dialogues would have been reckless.I thought mummy atleast will suffice them with its visual effects(believe me to some extent it did).Atleast they dint sleep.For me the first half was OK but after watching MADAGASCAR 2 trailer in the interval i was singing the song "I like to move it move it" in the entire second half of Dummy Er Mummy.....Try watching the trailer man.U 'll like to move it too....;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh .. So ur parents are in kolkata now! Cool ! Regards to them!

    Ya, Madagascar : The Crate Escape ! Looking forward to that movie !

    ReplyDelete
  3. no .. they were here till tuesday.. now they are in puri enjoying the beah.. they will be leaving to chennai tonite.

    keep it coming da. i like ur posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup... The trailers of Madagascar is damn good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post!Evelyn and Rick were major let downs. I guess Brendon has forgotten what acting is all about and costumes, sets et al probably are going from riches to rags with every part of it. Sequels are all a major let down nowadays, Dark Knight being an exception though!

    Hopfully, Madagascar turns out better :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ivan: Yes !

    @Shwetha: Fingers crossed for the Crate escape!

    ReplyDelete