30 April 2010

Through to IIMB... but do I wanna do the PGP?

Like I mentioned two years ago (that I will get into an IIM in 2010) and about one month back (that God wanted me to), I got into an IIM this year. Yea, Bangalore at that. Kinda freaks me out actually that the Nitrodamus in me was fully functional way back in 2008 with extremely accurate predictions.

But do I really want to go there?

FAQs to follow. ie. Questions frequently being asked by others (urm...not just others) given my current 'dilemma'.

"How many times do people get a chance to study at IIM-B?"
I know. But looks like I should give them 15L and two years of my time to get myself confined to a single campus. Should it not be the other way around? Even if it's with some of the greatest minds of the country? I have my doubts.

"Why did you try this in the first place?"
Now that I think of it, probably because of my hate towards IT. Probably not.
I do want to start my own company sometime, though. I like reading stuff related to that, and I guess there is no better place to learn about that..but paying back 15L is going to throw this out of balance, I suspect. I can as well use it to start one now, but heck which bank's gonna give even 1L to me to start my own publishing house or NGO? And take it lightly when it goes down the drain?

"You're gonna be so good at a lot of things after 2 years. The best in the country. You'll be working on so many assignments and presentations every day for two years that things you think you can never carry off now will be a cakewalk after two years."
I don't want to be the best in anything at all. Not even the best writer of Brindavan street 4th cross.
I don't want to conquer nature. I just want to enjoy being a part of this world. You know, laze around and stuff.

"You can't earn that way"
That's why you don't see me doing it.

"You can go back to this job after two years of IIMB if you like it so much."
Why should I leave it in the first place? And go back to it with a huge loan on my shoulder?

"IIMB. Some of the best lectures in the country. From some of the best brains..."
Very interesting, but worth two years and the hard work?

"Do you want to get married at all? This is your only chance!"
Much as I know that the IIM tag is probably my last chance of impressing any girl in this century, I don't think I really want to marry anyone. Yikes, I said it out loud, didn't I?

"What about your dream NGO? You need hell a lot of money to eradicate illiteracy in this country, dude!"
I know, but is this the way? at least one of the ways? How can I be sure?

"Sports Management, Politics... You could as well change the face of Indian football! Is that not another of your dreams?" 
Yea, but all the hard-work people are 'proud' of actually puts me off. I just want to write stories, you know.

"You're not the greatest writer"
I know.

"Anyway, looking at the profiles of people coming in with you, you will lose that laziness of yours just to keep pace with them, I think. Is that not a good enough reason?"
No. No. Nooo. Laziness is all that's kept me alive through all the rat races. I refuse to cooperate.

"Then you'll end up getting the last rank"
Who cares?

"You might not get a job then."
Oh.

"Remember this is at your Bangalore?"
Don't tempt me now. This is an unwanted question irrelevant to the current situation.

"Ooooo. Bangalore. The only IIM you've always respected."
That's probably because of the quizzes and the campus.

"Bangalore... The only 'city' with such a good climate."
Ha. Will somehow take a loan and buy a farmhouse in Coonoor or Calicut soon. Beat that.

"Bangalooooore... Family... Friends..."
Ok. I give in.

"Hey, you're supposed to resist."
Come on, you know that I really don't care about anything. Thinking about this exhausts me.

"What if you can't pay the loan back later?"
I'll try to pay the poor blokes back. If I can't, let them arrest me. Who really cares?

"Do you want to do it, then?"
Even if the whole thing is just a hyped up Gold-quest-like business done legally by the Govt to put people like me in a lotta debt, Yes.

"...but why?"
I have to do something in life, I guess. Evalavo panitom. Idha pana matoma?

-The End-

16 comments:

  1. Nice write up da, i guess some of the questions were asked to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep. modified that line :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kandipppa sera porennu solrathukku ivalo build up a........... shabbbbaaaa..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Do you want to get married at all? This is your only chance!"
    Much as I know that the IIM tag is probably my last chance of impressing any girl in this century, I don't think I really want to marry anyone. Yikes, I said it out loud, didn't I?... this iliked the most but then now i have my own doubts about u... ;-P. guess wat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand. Think whatever you want to, but give me the blackberry. :) What's that about? Ping me on gtalk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thala, engayo poiteenga...super da and all the v.best for your stint in the 'IIM - B' *ur favorite* :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another future boss of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice post....a fitting example that most of our decisions are influenced by others 'expectations' rather than our conscience.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. @kk

    thx mac.

    @ivan

    who? me? he he.

    @abhinav

    Does it come across like that? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ore oru ooru kulla ore oru appa....
    I think with your kinda attitude your Dad is the one who should be asking himself these questions....... :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. @amshuman

    ena da solra? don't get it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude, believe me right now I am in exactly the same in the same situation as you were an year ago. Except for the writer being substituted by the photographer, every other thing is the same with me.
    Just a question, did you finally join IIMB? What is your answers to the above questions today?.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    I can't get your name from this. :)
    I am at B and we'd better take that discussion offline.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete