12 July 2010

Life at IIMB

Warning: Do not attempt at your B-School what I say or say I do in this or my future posts. I will first see if I can clear term-I. 

I can't tell you about everything that goes on here, no. That's because a lot of things happen after midnight here. And I miss them because I sleep by ten. Today, I've this meeting at 11 for an assignment, so I slept all afternoon... and I am going to sleep once I finish posting this. I am not even going to watch the WC finals today. I don't seem to like the WC after Germany's exit. (Let Spain fry in hell today btw!)

Where was I? Sleep by ten? Oh yea. This is a place where you can do anything you want to, as long as you want to and try to do it.  If you want to study, or chit-chat, or as some ppl put it: do some 'rg giri'. Considering that these people around me are supposedly the best out there who will take up leading positions across the nation in a few years, I am actually scared for the country...looking at everyone doing stuff because others are doing them. ("What to do yaar, everyone else is studying!") Or are all of us just beginning to change for the better as we move ahead? Well, we still do have about (2 years - 3 weeks) to go. So, there's a lot of scope for change, whichever direction that might be in.

Over the past three weeks, I just chose to sleep and/or watch the Big Bang theory (three seasons down in two weeks). We have several quizzes coming up this week (no not the usual sort. They give this fancy name to exams so that the quizzers in us are excited in the beginning (yay!) and are subsequently destroyed). Some day soon, I will start reading the subject books too.

Relative Grading seems to scare the living daylights out of people here. It's funny how nearly all of them prefer competition over cooperation. I hope they will come to terms with cooperation soon if they listen to me (right about now, there are only about 10% of the students who can see me and tell my name - and they won't listen to me). By the way, only two profs know I exist and that's because I was caught sleeping in their class. 

The campus - beautiful. I seriously miss having a cool camera out here. I can take pics all day. Everything from the night sky to the chirpy insects are totally NG worthy. I tell myself 'this will make a good pic' at least ten times a day. The library is one awesome place...two and half lakh books stacked & organised in rows. I found quite a few books from the last two centuries explaining the process behind publishing houses. Oh now, I want to start already! The day they allow us to borrow the books will be the day I stop watching sitcoms... or reduce the time spent in watching it, at the very least. I expect to have more time to dedicate to these two things - photography and reading arbit stuff - in the near future.

Subjects? Well, not my cup of tea... or anything. One professor is so awesome that I feel up to date with stuff even though I haven't opened the book at all. Another is so awesome that he was going to make film reviews a part of the grading. Others truly baffle me. For example, we are supposed to 'pre-read' for our daily classes and the profs will run the slides in the class and say the same stuff again. I find the classes ok as they're new to me. But for those who read and then attend the classes, what's even the point? What is the point of running slides and talking about them if we are expected to read on our own anyway? 

Clubs! Now, all you UG folk know how I stood behind taking the selection process down for the Lit Club with a few like minded souls (read - Monkey and to some extent, Karthik) and making it open in my final year. If I considered that selection process discouraging, it's hell here. Like, if you want to be a member of a group that facilitates exchange of books and maintains a small library, you got to submit your resume and attend a couple of interviews. It's worse for the 21 other clubs. People attended interviews overnight. I haven't applied to any of them and will not be part of the 'extra curricular rat-race' this year. The plan is to write more if I have the time.

All you aspirants, this place (and by that I mean any b-school, not mine in particular) is for those of you who wanted to be in the limelight all the time, smiling for photographs... people who want to keep talking, even if what they say is pure and utter nonsense... people who have been at positions of responsibility and loved floating in fame and authority... those who'd agree to that cliched statement used in every debate on earth: 'the ends justify the means'. 

I will never run as fast as these people around me. Not because I can't. It's because I want to go slow. Sigh. I don't think I fit in here with the mad crowd. I really don't. 

--

PS: I am sure a lot of people felt the same way every year and grew to like it (?) in the two years they spent here. I am a slow, free-willed soul and I don't intend to change over the next two years. I will update as and when I start liking being at B! After all, it's not for filling up space that all the alumni unanimously say that B was the 'best two years' of their lives.

PS2: It's late in the night and there could be a lot of errors in the post. Pardonnez-moi, s'il vous plait.

9 comments:

  1. I totally and completely agree with you about the campus being NG worthy. I plan to buy a camera soon, so that I can take some of these natural pics and pose later as i was a photographer.
    Great you didnt even apply for a single group.. So i guess u didnt attend the club presentations also.
    wow ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was fast!

    Yea, any pic taken here will be good, no matter how hard you try to screw it up!

    And yea, didn't attend the club presentations too. But that was because I was kinda very sick at that time. Else I would have attended, at least to see what people are saying. :)

    and u r 4m pgp1?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive seen enough of ppl like u.. posting things like this and emerging at the top... Lemme wait :)... U r so modest ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. I really don't think the post was about getting the last rank or failing in the exams. It was about not fitting in with the theme... the 'competitiveness' that people try to foster in you. NOTHING ELSE.

    Anyway, u have never studied with me, so let's not generalize on 'emerging at the top' and 'enuf ppl like u' here. Like u said, we'll wait. Btw, I plan to start studying some time soon... preferably before the term exams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you perfectly fit in there. Land of fame!

    Good luck and welcome to Grad School.

    ReplyDelete
  6. shabba....ippave kanna kattuthe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vaalkai avlodhan machi.. Free... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL
    u njoy the B School life man! though its sometimes better to be part of the rat race even if its a rat race :)

    hating ACPs!!; if getting caught sleeping will also be considered Class Participation; then we could have tried it always ;)

    Regards,
    Vijay
    An MBA Diary!

    ReplyDelete